In the autumn of 1952, some sixteen Christian Scientists met together in a private house in Camborne for the purpose of “holding services in accordance with the Church Manual and to conduct our affairs in an orderly way, so that when the time comes we are ready to apply to The Mother Church for recognition as a Christian Science Society”. Two Readers and an Executive Board were elected from amongst those present.
The location of a meeting place was discussed and, in the spring of 1953, they had acquired a room in the Camborne Community Centre. In addition to the weekly Sunday Service, they were holding a Testimony Meeting on the first Wednesday of every month. During 1953, steps were taken with a view to the Group becoming a Christian Science Society. Progress continued, and in the autumn of 1954 the Group became Christian Science Society, Camborne-Redruth, a recognised branch of The Mother Church, The First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston, Massachusetts. Services continued to be held regularly at the Community Centre, and in 1963 a Sunday School was formed. The Society sponsored its first Christian Science lecture in 1967.
With the growth of the Sunday School and the general desire of members to obtain more suitable premises, a Building Committee was formed, and in 1968 a fine detached house was purchased in Dolcoath Road, Camborne. After extensive alterations, the building accommodated a room for holding Church Services, a Sunday School Assembly Room and Classroom, Readers' Rooms, a Reading Room, and a Literature Sales Room.
Dedication Services for the Society were held at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. on April 16th 1978. The Society has continued its activities at the Dolcoath road site ever since.
In 2012 a new auditorium was built, (see pictures on the Visual Tour page) and the existing building was renovated.
We are pleased to note that our new auditorium was the winner of both the Best Community Building Winner: and the best Commercial Building as awarded by the Cornwall Council staff.